Further to last month’s announcement that critical cooling specialists Airedale by ModineTM has commenced full scale production at their new US chiller plant in Rockbridge, Virginia, they recently confirmed a significant order with data centre giant, Corscale, with plans for further business in the coming months.
With Airedale by Modine cooling solutions set to be installed at Corscale’s Gainesville Crossing Data Campus, the company has secured a healthy pipeline for its OptiChillTMfree-cooling chillers, AireWallTM fan walls & SmartCool ONETM computer room air handling units.
Corscale, the exclusive data centre platform of Patrinely Group, is focused on delivering sustainability at scale for hyperscale operators and enterprise clients. Following a substantial period of consultation, Corscale appointed Airedale by Modine due to its history of ground-breaking, free-cooling technology paired with its in-depth knowledge and understanding of the data centre industry.
Having worked closely with engineers from Corscale, Airedale by Modine has developed a specialised data centre chiller based on their existing OptiChill range. The Corscale chiller, with enhanced free cooling, has been designed to meet North American safety standards, using American materials and components, to offer a world-class energy efficient solution. Engineering specialists at the chiller plant in Virginia have worked with their colleagues at Airedale by Modine’s centre of excellence in Leeds, UK, to deliver a cooling solution that delivers on performance whilst operating at higher water temperatures and fluid temperature differentials than traditional offerings, enhancing energy efficiency and free-cooling potential.
The new Corscale chiller operates using twin screw compressors and has a number of special features, included to enhance efficiency and performance, including:
- High capacity twin screw compressors offer reliability and flexibility, with staged capacity control
- High water temperatures to suit modern data centre designs that prioritise sustainability
- Enhanced controls including fast start, input power limiting and intelligent management of compressors, refrigerant and pumps
- An on-board variable speed pump to precisely match cooling demand, reducing waste energy expenditure while maintaining water-side temperature differential and saving on space and electrical distribution requirements
- Optimised economizers to provide unmatched free cooling potential
- 100% contained Glycol loop to isolate the economiser from the cooling loop and increase efficiency of the AireWall units
- Enhanced controls platform including redundancy back-up and fast-start mode, to minimise the risk of disruption in the event of mechanical breakdown
- On-board active harmonic filtration, ensuring a clean power supply to the data centre, while saving on external plant requirements.
AireWall is a low energy cooling solution for mission-critical environments. This range of computer room air handlers, which doesn’t require a raised floor, has been specially designed for low velocity air cooling and suits high-density data centre applications with hot-aisle containment. The units are available in a 4, 6 or 8 fan configuration and have been engineered to the highest design and build standards you would expect from an Airedale by Modine precision unit, with the simplicity and effectiveness of a fan wall. AireWall comprises a filter, fan bank and an optimised high surface area chilled water coil. It includes integrated intelligent controls that enable dynamic cooling output variation based on changing IT loads and operates at low SFP to help achieve low installation PUE. AireWall has been designed to operate in tandem with Airedale by Modine’s range of free cooling chillers, delivering a high efficiency cooling solution.
SmartCool ONE is a 35kW to 1MW computer room air handler. An evolution of the multi award-winning SmartCool™ precision cooling range, it has been developed to meet the increasing demand for ultra-efficient, large capacity precision cooling systems in colocation and hyperscale data centres across the globe. With a cooling capacity of up to 1MW, optimised air and water conditions and an intelligent controls platform to maximise efficiencies and cooling power SmartCool ONE is the intelligent solution for large scale data centre cooling.